Friday, November 2, 2012

I Want To Go "There"

Don't ask me why, but I have recently been watching old episodes of Grey's Anatomy. For those that lived under a rock during 2005, it was and (kinda still is) this awesome TV show about Meredith Grey, a TV doctor who was a damaged but lovable girl. She had an up and down love affair with Dr. McDreamy (who was and is still is dreamy or McDreamy, if you will). And the show was just so tortured. Every episode is one big life lesson. Now, I may not completely be like Meredith, nor do I have fun friends like Izzie and George who also live with me, but I can relate.

I like shows - I think we all do - where the person isn't quite "there"yet in their life. We root for them. "Oh ... if you could just find that perfect guy and get married. Oh but not just yet! Of course! Now his ex wife has come back!"

Somewhere, in my tangled life, I have had loves who were lost. ALL of their ex wives came back. I'm kidding, of course. Yet, I can relate to a character who has the family issues (whatever they may be), the love issues, the money issues, the dump your coffee on your lap issues. It's all just popcorn and good times for me to watch because, after all - hey sister, I have been there.

I have even liked it when friends of mine, after being in a relationship, come back to the single world. "Hey, let me catch you up on what you missed." It's almost like I get to refresh their memories on past episodes of a TV show.

The thing of it is, though: I want to get "there." By the way, "there" is this imaginary place in life that every American has created for themselves. It probably involves life, liberty, a car, a McMansion, perfect job, perfect spouse, perfect mistress, perfect vacations, 6 pack abs and tons of money. For me, "there" is something different.

"There" is partially about money. (I mean, this ain't circa 1960 Russia.) I want enough money where I never have to worry about buying yet another pair of shoes if I really want them. I like shoes and I want to buy more. On that front, I am almost "there." Almost. Still got some time on that one, especially since I began to show an interest in the Cole Haan Air Colton Saddle Oxford line. A Burgandy shoe with black croc saddle? How much? Um.... ok!  Again, not quite there.

"There" would also include a nice man. Any man. A pulse. But he has to be around ... like ... all the time. Again, we are waiting on that one.

And finally, "there" would include my own place. I hate a land lord. I hate making small talk with someone I would never talk to. Not unless we are prisoners in a Guadalajara prison. Why Guadalajara, Mexico, you ask? Because! I'm dramatic! And I hear the jicama there is just to die for!

I also really want to own my own place because I hate my bathroom and I hate my kitchen. Those are my 2 favorite rooms after a bedroom. Wink!

Anyways, my point is: I am not "there" yet - and I bet you are not "there," either. That's life. That's TV, too, I guess. And while we don't have a McDreamy (damn, he is handsome!), we have another day to live or another episode to watch. And both usually involve something happening that we have to do or overcome. So, we will probably never be "there." Unless, you are one of those really annoying perfect people that just has EVERYTHING she could ever want (while secretly hiding your pill addiction.) See! Even you need to go "there."

Love,
Me



No comments:

Post a Comment