Thursday, August 16, 2012

I Am So Gay ... (but I'm just not THAT gay!)

I was out with some old friends two weeks ago. Doug and Robyn. (I would normally give them code names - for the sake of the blog, naturally. But, you simply cannot give Doug and Robyn code names. They ARE Doug and Robyn.)

I played tour guide and gave these out-of-towners their very first glimpse into Brooklyn. They saw Brooklyn Bowl, the Brooklyn Brewery, the Promenade, TWO bridges, and Park Slope. It was fantastic. It was the perfect day and evening.



Over dinner, we laughed and ate until our little stomachs got bigger. And we talked and talked. The thing I like most about Doug and Robyn is how real they are. You can really go there with them, you know? You can say the dirty joke and they are cool. You can talk about people and have honest conversations about yourself. Best of all - it's a judgment free zone. (God, I hope!)

The point of conversation, though, that really got me was how we talked about my blog and how I am gay. But I'm just not THAT gay.

This was their words. Greg is gay, but it's not like he's ever been THAT gay.

Yep, I'm a gay mother-lover, but I'm a normal dude, too. Sure, I like men, and shopping, and the occasional soap opera. (Seriously, the new Dallas was awesome this summer.) But, I like other things, too.

I drink whiskey for god's sakes!

I can still quote lines from the movies: Old School, Wedding Crashers, and Anchorman.

I dig James Bond flicks, and really any kind of spy crap.

One thing Doug and Robyn also referenced was: Baseball.

I actually like baseball. I don't watch it non-stop like they do. (The straights just LOVE their baseball.)
But, I love physically going to games and I actually even understand what goes on during them. Especially that seventh inning stretch. I LOVE me some relaxing time!



There is just something really fun about being in a real baseball park. I like the energy from the crowds. The music, the cheering, watching bases load and the visiting team get 3 runs at once. Being surrounded by cute and not so cute men. And to cap it all off, I even drank beer that night! Need proof?I mean - look what I ate!!!



I had 2 beers in ONE week. At the Mets' outfield, and at the Brooklyn Brewery just days before. Not only did I go to an actual brewery with Doug and Robyn - but I drank the beer, too. I was more of a Nurse Parker that day, but come Baseball Night: I drank my Bud Light like a champ.

I Am So Gay. I'm just not that gay!

Sure, I can drink beer! I just don't guzzle it. And also, hello? A burger and fries? Sure, they were from Shake Shack and I did have a Bud "Light," but I was still all man that night.

And I kinda like that about myself. I can be the best of both worlds.

Yep! I can.

I will wear my navy suede oxford shoes and my rolled cuff shortie shorts, with a nautical striped tee. But, don't try to mess with me on the subway! I got my shizz!



The thing is: I know who I am, but it's not ONLY who I am. There is so much more to me than ONE thing about me. And the same goes for you. You may be gay, you may be straight, but I bet you act like a normal person. Sex doesn't define you (and if it does - there is a shrink you should call).

In the end, we can realize that just because we're different - it doesn't mean we can't enjoy the same things. Because we can. But, I will still be sipping whiskey over a Bud. I'm not that straight!

Love,
Me

2 comments:

  1. The skeleton was denied a bank loan.
    Baxter, you know I don't speak Spanish.
    I love lamp.
    I'm in a glass case of emotion!!

    Let's go, baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch.

    I don't know to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal.

    Did I mention I like to quote Elf too?

    You sit on a throne of lies!

    Is it made of sugar? THEN YES!

    ReplyDelete