Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Dance, Monkey! Dance!

Some days, it's hard to be perky.

Some days, it's hard to be the person others want you to be.

On those occasions, you just want to throw on the baggiest of tee shirts and your ill-fitting sweatpants and call it a day. But, you can't. Because you need a job. And because it's summer right now. (They don't call 'em sweatpants for nothing!)

So, you force a smile and you put a pep in your step. And it sucks royally.

But, you manage. Because that's what you are supposed to do.

I don't, as a general rule, like to do any of that. I usually am a "say what you feel" type. And it often gets me and my big mouth in trouble. (Look for my new book out this Fall: How to Lose Friends and Alienate People .  .  .  Part Three.)

But, I find that I am able to be genuinely happy a lot of the time because I am always honest with my feelings and what I say. I often don't censor or filter, unless needed. I strive to never say anything hurtful, but if asked how I'm feeling I don't lie and say, "GREAT!"

Having said all of this, I still have those days where I wish I could curl into a big blanket that provides the warmest of hugs. I sincerely think if everyone had a pair of strong arms at home that gave the world's best hugs, there would be less crime, wars, drugs, plagues, and overall frowny faces. People would just be happier with a hug.

It's why we sleep in beds. All that bedding. Multiple pillows. It's a giant, foamy, mattressy hug. "Mattressy" being a word and all.

Unlike my other blog posts, this would be the time where I say I digress and "but my point is."

Today, though, I am not sure I have a point. Just sharing my thoughts. We all gotta dance.

She Works Hard for the Money, said Donna Summer. So hard for it, honey. And that is what brings me to title of this post: "Dance, Monkey! Dance!" Ms. Summer may have the point, after all. People work hard. People trudge along and do errands. And tasks. And meetings. And appointments. And responsibilities. And it's all just . . .  

While we don't have a gun pointed at our feet, the world does spin because people do things they (quite possibly) do not want to do.

And what if we all did what we wanted to do and stopped being dancing monkeys?

What if you just baked all day? Every day? And you shared that with people? And that was your life's work?

That could be pretty neat, right?

It's just a thought. And it's a thought that makes me want to wrap myself up in a duvet and give myself a mattressy hug tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment