Sunday, June 17, 2012

I love to shop! (Gay cliche? Maybe. Who cares?! I love to shop!)

For anyone who knows me, and for those that don't - I absolutely love to online shop. (Within reason. No credit card debt allowed.)

But I really do love it. So much so, that allow me to refer you to this web site:
http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=M5W50P93x%2FIypJry1Er1Xg%3D%3D

I actually found a web site that pays me to online shop.

I felt like the villain in a Bond movie when I discovered this. (Diabolical laughter!)

They give me money to shop? I found Superman's Kryptonite??? I will get him for good now!

Yep! But - it's the real deal! Awesome web site!

Seriously, Ebates.com is my most favorite web site ever. And its the first site I go to when I online shop. Simply - go to the site. Sign up for an account today. Search a store you like to shop at, and then click on the link to that store. BAM. Automatic savings to your account once you have bought something, and they mail you a check every quarter. I use it. It works. Trust.

And if you need further proof of how trustworthy, I am....see below picture:


As you see above, not only am I a fashion model, (photo shoots!), but I am also a fashion icon. Now, the weight of this is something I take very seriously.

When I carefully choose what to buy, I always ask 3 things:
1. is this on sale?
2. is this the absolute cheapest I can get this for?
3. will this look good on me?
4. is this something I really, really, really want and/or need and I won't get sick of?

Ok, so that's 4 things. No one ever said fashion icons were smart.

But I AM smart! Why am I? Because I make sure I research the hell out of something online. I use all kinds of web sites to help me online shop. Bizrate.com can often tell you how the item you want is priced across the board. Now, if what you want is actually a pair of shoes that is sold everywhere, or a book - this is super helpful. So, are iPhone apps for this. (i.e. The Find, ShopSavvy, Red Laser and I also like the Amazon price check app.) Simply scan the bar code when you're in a store - and you can price compare within seconds. This has saved me some dollars. And dollars add up. Dollars add up to let me shop more. Which. I. Love. (if you didn't get the hint)




In general, I do like Amazon. Convenient shipping and usually they price cut pretty well. But that is always a base. Never just 1 click, unless pressed for time and you need that book delivered in 48 hours before your friend learns you lost her copy.  (What? It's a hypothetical! Damn it, woman, I am not talking about you. I got your book. Now, where the hell is it?)

I digress. Shop around, I always say. If time is on your side, think like the Suze Orman we all are. I am no lesbian, but I like to save money. And if saving money makes me a lesbian. Well, Suze, you got yourself a date. Because I will kiss you on the lips.

Now, back on topic. I love to shop. Because white jeans and a nautical stripe shirt is not only on trend, but it's what we ALL should wear when you go to the beach in the Spring in Long Island. Because it's cold. If you wear a swim suit, well - God bless. It's windy and cold. You clearly need to shop if you are disagreeing with me. Please stop disagreeing with me or we can never be shopping buddies. Oh, who am I kidding? We will sooo be shopping buddies.

The thing is: I hate crowds. And if I had a car, I'd hate parking.

Having said all of that - I will put up with crowds for a good outlet mall. (I frakkin' love a good outlet mall!!!!! J. Crew Factory Store? Pottery Barn outlet? Things I don't need? YES!)

But, at the end of the day, I really dislike crowds. And in New... York... City (said in the same voice as the Pace Salsa commercial), there are a lot of crowds. Plus, I have to hop on the subway. Lug the stuff down the street, and home, and ugh...I'm sweating. Through my new tee shirt. And sweat is unacceptable unless doing something....recreational.... so.... no, I don't shop in stores much. Sorry, real estate barons and mega malls. I like the visuals of a store. But, the experience of getting there and hustle/bustle? No thanks.

So, yup - I buy my deodorant from Drugstore.com (Hands down - cheaper than the store - by literally dollars. By 2, save $1. Shocking!)

I buy my latest book to read from Betterworldbooks.com or Barnesandnoble.com or Amazon.com (Shop around. Get prices. What? Did you not learn from me yet? Wink!)

I buy my shoes from Overstock.com. Or Endless.com. Or Piperlime.com. I am pretty anti-Zappos. They are awesome and ship amazing - but come on. Discount me a little? 10% off? Something! A girl likes a discount.



For clothes: well, that's tougher. That brings me stores. I gotta know how it fits me. But once I do....I'm back to the laptop, my pretties. (Suze Orman. Back again. Or Kristen Wiig. Yea....totally Kristen Wiig.)

I hope you can relate and obsess like I do. We have to help the economy. Times are tough. So, we have to look good. More importantly, times are tough and I'm not going into debt. So, look around, keep those dreamy eyes of yours open, and focused on the bargains. (You have really amazing eyes, by the way.)

You will get some bargains. And if you do, send that extra cash my way. I am really itching to buy the new Herb Ritts LA book from his show at the Getty. It's literally like $15 cheaper on Amazon than if I had bought it there. Score!)

And most importantly, I know this was a pretty vapid post on valley girl shopping, but really, I think we all learned something. And that is: we are no fool, fool. Hopefully, I either inspired you to be smarter (then even me!) when thinking over a purchase or inspired you to shop online. (Or check out Ebates.com. http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=M5W50P93x%2FIypJry1Er1Xg%3D%3D
It's amazing! Clearly, I am obsessed.)

Most importantly, maybe you just got a smile (laugh out loud - "who the hell is this guy thinking he is?" moment) out of the photo of me being Marilyn Monroe on a beach in Long Island. It's a pretty ridiculous picture and yet I like it.

I need a nap now. Being an icon is tough work.

Yours forever,
Sir Shopsalot

1 comment:

  1. Greg! I am trying to catch up on your posts but wanted to tell you that just saw the Herb Ritts exhibit at the Getty. Beautiful of course :)

    ReplyDelete